Mike
Mike, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

steering wheel air bag removal

steering wheel air bag removal
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome..

Mike :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX How can I be of help / what exactly do you need help with re the steering wheel removal?

Mike :

You need to type your reply - then hit Reply or Enter on your keyboard.

Mike :

The system is telling me you have gone out of chat and gone off line - Is this so or are you having trouble with the Chat system - ? If so , I can switch us to the QA system....??

Customer:

hi im tryin to change indicator switch. but I need to remove air bag and steering wheel. how is it done

Mike :

Ah hello - you are back ! ;)

Customer:

yes

Mike :

Right ok - well, you need to disable the airbag system first...

Mike :

To do that - you have your keys out of the car.. and disconnect the battery terminals... Leave the car alone - dont start work on it for ten mins to give the airbag system capcitors time to fully discharge.

Customer:

ok is dat done by diagnostic machine

Mike :

( You may need your radio code to activate your radio after this so be sure you have that ...or you can be re advised of it from any dealer)

Mike :

No- you just disconnect the battery as above.. then after 10 mins you can start work,.

Mike :

Then - you need to look behind the steering wheel - a mirror is really helpful for this - you are looking for the two holes that have the securing screws for the airbag.. To remove these you need what is called a T30 ( Torx 30 ) tool.

Customer:

ok I was tryin to remove air bag but no screws in sight jus asmall hole in side of steering wheel

Mike :

You must ensure the steering wheel is kept in the straight ahead position...

Mike :

Just a moment then - I will upload you a pic of what you should have..

Mike :

The pic us uploading - meantime.. what tool were you trying to use?

Customer:

was usin a small screwdriver

Mike :

Well ok - again - you need to use a T30 tool.. Ok the link is through now- click HERE - and check it against what you have.

Customer:

hi no that's not wat I have. jus asmall hole on d right of steering wheel when its straignt

Mike :

Ok - can you give me the VIN of the vehicle...

Customer:

hi the small hole is at the bottom of steering wheel

Mike :

At the front or rear / behind?

Customer:

vin vnkkh963xoa026534 model nsp9or

Mike :

Ok - what country are you in?

Customer:

uk

Mike :

Ok - is that a private reg?

Customer:

no

Mike :

NSP 9 OR is the reg??

Customer:

no dat is the model number

Mike :

I asked for the reg..

Mike :

The Vin is not coming up.

Customer:

AV09LAA

Mike :

Thank you ... give me a mo -

Mike :

Ok - every system I check is coming back with the same instructions I gave you earlier - to be honest , from memory and experince, it doens't make sense to only have one hole as you mentioned - ALL airbags are secured to the wheel by at least two screw/ fixings.. never just one / one hole...

Mike :

So I think you are going to need to go and make a close inspection to see what you have - again - it should correspond to the above that I have given you.

Customer:

OK IL DO A QUICK CHECK

Mike :

Take your time -- use a mirror...

Customer:

JUS CHECK STILL NO SCREWS IN SIGHT

Mike :

Ok - just a mo... I have looked out a photo for you.. its coming now..

Mike :

Ok - look at this HERE.. thats what you will have... for sure ;)

Mike :

That is your year Yairs.

Mike :

Yaris.

Mike :

This HERE will help you also.

Mike :

Now you should be on track ;)

Mike :

Are you re checking??

Mike :

I have to go off for a break in a moment... Once you have found the screws- set the steering wheel straight - remove them as above- you will then see what is called the Clockspring-- Dis connect the two wire clips - the one in front of you / middle just pulls off- you unclip the clip to slide the other off... Then remove the clock spring by withdrawing it - ensure you recall how to place it back.

Mike :

Then you will see the centre bolt / nut for steering wheel - you remove that -and lift the wheel off... then you can carry on . Replacement is a reversal of the above...and then when all done - refit the battery cables.

Customer:

OK IL DOUBLE CHECH

Mike :

With those pics - photos you cant go wrong now ;)

Mike :

If we are done for now- I just need you to please click on the OK ratings for me at this point..

Mike :

You can get back to me later if you should need - I will be back on later today ...so you can call on me if you should need anything at all... but I do need you to just click on the OK ratings for me now please -

Mike :

For which I thank you - and wish you all the best.. Im sure you will be ok !! but again - I'll be here later if needed ;)

Mike :

Im about to go off - do you need anything now before I go....??

Customer:

THANKS NO HVE A GOOD BREAK

Mike :

;) Thank you -- again - Im sure you will be ok - but Im always here if you need anything. Just leave a reply here - and I will get it if you do when I come back on... Please dont forget to click on the OK ratings for me before you go off.. Thank you - and Best Rgds, MIKE.