indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician .
29331485

I have a 2005 Prius with 70k km driven, it has given a warning

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Prius with 70k km driven, it has given a warning and following diagnostics it is giving a code P0A08 and P0A09, the dealer tells me this requires an expensive invertor replacement but the car is driving without any problems and this warning has occured for more than a year without a problem occuring, is there another way of clearing the system as this does not appear to be the real issue with no mechanical fault being manifest over a long period of time?

Thank you for your help. Phil
Category: Toyota
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

There is a known problem with the DC/DC circuit board on this car, mostly can happen due to reverse battery connection at one time in the part and will trip this code .
Some good shops can repair this for a lot less than replacing the invertor .

If they now can not clear codes with the scan tool then the code is now a hard code and anytime now you will start to have more problems with starting as this is the charger for the starter motor battery .

Replacing the invertor is very expensive so as said see if you can fins a shop that can remove and repair or just replace the DC/DC circuit board .

If you are still having issue with this issue then please get back to me with the reply button and not the poor or bad replay button so i can assist you further with this issue, or pass you on to another expert.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I have spoken to the Toyota dealership in Bromley and they do not believe the DC/DC circuit board can be bought as a separate part if it is within the invertor or that it could be fitted as a separate fix. Can you advise how this would be purchased or who might be able to undertake the work, few local garages seem to know much about this element of the Prius.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
No idea Phil who could do this in the UK .

Was your 12 volt battery tested as low voltage from the battery can trip these two codes .

Not much more i can help you with here now Phil, looks like you will have to replace the complete component which is a very expensive part .
But these parts very rarely fail unless the battery is reverse jumped
at one time or another .

Rgds Greg