Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

02 plate rav4 diesel manual, when depressing the clutch there

Customer Question

02 plate rav4 diesel manual, when depressing the clutch there is a light clunk type sound from back end of gearbox. No problem changing gear and clutch pedal operation is normal?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

From what you are describing the issue that you are having is the clutch release bearing is starting to fail and resulting in this problem. The symptoms will just be the noise for a while but eventually will result in shifting issues. The gearbox has to be removed in order to replace this.