Mike
Mike, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

i have a 98 rav 4 fifth gear is bonking back to neutral most

Customer Question

i have a 98 rav 4 fifth gear is bonking back to neutral most of the time
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you -

Other than changing the oil in the transmission - have you done / checked anything else?

Too - how does the actual gear lever feel when you select 4th - ? Does it feel normal - like the other gears - or any different at all?

Rgds, MIKE.........................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

absolutely normal gear change to 5th but knocks back out after a few miles then does it all the time

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you have an answer please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
it hasnt been answered yet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still waiting
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

Thank you for your initial reply -

Im sorry - to explain - I had just knocked off just before your reply to me came in on the Sat eve - then I was off Sunday when you replied in the early morn. Then, you re listed your question which meant I lost track of it - I have just come across it in the lists again now...So that caused the extra delay Im afraid - its just the way the system works - but I wouldn't have been on at that time Sunday anyway..

So - back to the issue you have -the jumping out of gear - just before we progress with this now - what size engine does your Rav 4 have ??

Rgds, MIKE................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2litre every other gear is fine i just have to hold it in 5th on moterway

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Steve.

Ok -This is a common problem on this year range of the Rav 4.. Its a fault inside the transmission - that can actually be fixed / put right without removing the transmission from the car- but it is a large - ish job requiring a certain amount of mechanical knowledge - a good array of tools and pullers etc..etc - I don't know whether its something you would / could do yourself - Im happy to let you have the further info if you are - but a lot would hold their hands up at this and say "no way" .. over to a garage.. So let me know what you want to do Steve. For a sneak preview of the job - have a look HERE -- basically Im showing you that to show you that you will need to get inside the transmission -its a case of removing and replacing the various cog parts etc.

So let me know what you want to so Steve -

*** >> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.