Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2004 1.6vauxhall Astra needs new engine

Customer Question

Mechanic at my local garage has told me my2004
1.6 vauxhall Astra needs a new engine,bodywork on my car is great. How much would a new engine cost?our mechanic doesn't fit used engines as he cannot guarantee them. Help, have child with autism and car is v.important.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

a brand new engine from Vauxhall will be about £2300 for a 'long' engine so thats a full engine assemlbed with a cylinder head but no ancillaries so you have to reuse the alternator, power steering pump etc from your old engine

to be honest I'd go for a reconditioned engine

this are rebuilt with new pistons, timing chain and bearings and come with 6 months gaurentee and typically cost about £1200

as before these are a long engine so you'll need to reuse the ancillaries

http://www.replacementengines.co.uk/car-md.asp?part=reconditioned-vauxhall-astra-engine&mo_id=288

and you can get used engines again with a gaurentee for less than this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for help.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem Ellen

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

If you don't rate then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.