Mike, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have toyata Auris automatic 4.5 yrs old, mileage around 45000.

I have toyata Auris automatic 4.5 yrs old, mileage around 45000. it has bee to Jemca Purley Way Croydon 3 times. initially would not start, called AA who got it started by moving the gear stick as if manual car. 1st visit to jemca, could not find fault. then car stalled couple of times, 2nd visit again could not find fault, on third visit after again not starting without 'twiddling' with gear stick, jemca said they changed a part to do with neutral on gears. Now it has started ok but a red warning light EPS has popped up a few times and car manual says take to garage. have u an answer I can tell the meachanics or know a garage where they know the cars. Yrs Disappointed
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you with this issue.

The EPS light - warn light is to tell you that the computer module on the car has detected a fault in the EPS system - thats the Electric Power Steering as you mention...

Now - this being an electronically controlled steering on this car - ie, its motor driven / computer controlled unlike older conventional rack & pinion systems - it is going to mean it has stored / logged a "fault code" in the module - What needs to be done now is to have a plug in diagnostic test done to determine what that code /s is - that then tells you / the tech - where the fault is in the system.

Often this is just down to bad wiring / connections in the system - thats the first thing to check - but the codes will tell you fully..., and that is the proper way to test these. This is Im afraid unfortunate - you do have to go with it to a suitable equipped garage to run the plug in test - it has to be a garage that has the correct equipment to suit the systems on that car / Toyota.

Click this link HERE... that should help you find a garage. failing that - you will have to return to the dealer Im afraid - as they will have the needed equipment... or a different Toyota dealer should you choose. This link HERE would help you with a different dealer - you can narrow it down knowing your locale..

This by the way doesn't have anything to do with the starting issues you had - this is a separate issue Im afraid... So thats the way forward to get this cured for you now -

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Toyota Mechanic
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To Mike re yr ans 3/9 re Toyta with EPS problem. I thought I rated u yesterday as excellent. Forgot to ask is it safe to drive the car until i get it to garage. Marg

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Marg ...

Thank you for your message... Im really very sorry but I was off over the weekend so have only just had your message...

In answer to your question there, it is in this situation generally safe to drive a short distance to a garage yes- so long as the steering is responding ok - not stiff or loose etc... If it is, its best to have the car recovered in.

Thank you too yes for the rating I can see you have left - Thank you ..

If there is ever anything else - you know where I am..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.