Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Why does my Toyota Rav4 Automatic select a ramdom neutral when

Customer Question

Why does my Toyota Rav4 Automatic select a ramdom neutral when going downhill ?
The car seems to freewheel and the revs come up to around 3000 RPM
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
Are there any warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

No lights, it feels like the gearbox disengages from the engine and free wheels as I said the revs rise to 3000-3500 with foot of.

It is a 2012 Rav4, I have spoken with toyota who fobbed me off with some story regarding non Toyota carpets !

This is my wife's car now she is not happy to drive it !!

Cheers,

Nigel

From what you are describing the issue here is the input shaft is slipping inside of the torque converter for the gear box. This can happen from worn splines on the input shaft or worn splines inside of the torque converter. This issue can happen at any time or any miles. The dealer likely won't be any help with this issue and this needs to be diagnosed by a shop that specializes in gear boxes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

If what you describe is the case here surely we would get issues under power ?

Not at first, there is 2 separate sets of splines inside of the converter, yes you will eventually have these issues under power as well.