Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I own a mr2 convertible manfactured 01.09.2001, been stood

I own a mr2 convertible manfactured 01.09.2001, been stood up for a while, recently had a good service, but smokes when first starts and lacks power not burning oil.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

these engines are very prone to the oil ring sticking into the piston and then this breaks the seal and allows oil into the chamber where its burnt and cokes up the plug

If you pull the spark plugs again you 'll see a heavy deposit on it if the oil has been burnt

I've had one of these cars myself and it too struggled with oil burning and coked up plugs

using a slightly thicker oil helped as did using the car hard to get it all fully hot

it was difficult to see if it burnt any oil as it was caught up in the catyslts are there are 3 on this car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would this cause a lack of power especially in gears 1, 2 & 3, or are these cars naturally slow in these gears.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

thats sounds like it may be something else

they are also very prone to the primary catylsts breaking up and collasping so choking the engine

the best way to check this is to remove the oxygen sensors and take a peek inside

the catylst brick should be regular and even with no lumps or bumps or warped holes

if it is like this then remove the exhaust manifold and you can either smash out the cat brickswith a long screwdriver or fit a tubular manifold off ebay for about £130

providing the 2nd cat downstream of the manifold is kept the car will pass emissions tests just fine