Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi I have a 59 plate avensis tourer and I get a lot of rainwater

Customer Question

Hi I have a 59 plate avensis tourer and I get a lot of rainwater (I think mainly when parked) in the rear nearside passenger footwell. Often it is enough to seep over to the offside rear footwell. I have looked everywhere and have no clue what may be leaking. The cable loom seals by the hinges of the lift gate look OK.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Clive
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
Does the vehicle have a sunroof?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike,

No the vehicle does not have a sun roof. It has factory fitted roof bars and they look in good condition and the blanking plates are in good condition and look correctly positioned.

Regards Clive

Ok/ I am also a warranty inspector and the times that i have seen this issue it has always been the door seals even when they look to be in good condition.
The best way to find the leak is with the help of a friend, sit in the vehicle with all of the windows up and have someone use a water hose all over the vehicle until you see the leak.
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that, I will try it in the morning. It is one o'clock here and I am now off to bed.

Will write again later.

Thank you. Clive

no problem, thank you. Also you can respond back to this question at anytime after rating positive if you need further help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike,

Have had a friend with hosepipe spray the car both as a jet and as a spray, I was inside the car and after about ten minutes of this treatment there was no sign of a leak. However, an hour later I found water coming up through the carpet. The wettest bit is where a rear seated passenger would have the heel of their shoe. The sides that rise up to the door step and rise up to the seat were dry. There was still no sign on door seals or door step of moisture.
Although I have looked at this; is it possible for water entering the cable harness up by the hinges of the lift gate to flow down the cable harness to the area where the water seems to collect?

Regards Clive

Yes if the door seals are dry the harness at the lift gate would be the next likely culprit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

After using the hose to test the nearside of the car for leaks, I decided to wash the car all over with the hose (first time I have used a hose to clean the car). About an hour later when I checked the car I found I have the same leakage problem on the offside rear passenger foot well as I have on the nearside. Over night it rained while the car was parked and again I have new water in both foot wells.

Now with hindsight I realise that where I thought the water was flowing from the nearside footwell into the offside - in reality both sides are leaking. Today, I have been out on a long journey in the rain and I am reasonably sure that less water gets in when I am driving than gets in when parked.

I know the car is 4 years old, but I feel this could well be a manufacture fault (I have owned the car for about 8 months). Next week when I can manage without the car for a few days I am going to book it in to my local Toyota main agent and get them to have a look.

Regards Clive

I completely agree with you at 4 years old this should not be happening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike

The car is booked in for 2 days this week (12 & 13 Nov), I will let you know what happens.

Regards Clive

No problem, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike,

The car went in for 2 days last week and they found that the one way blades on the cabin air exhaust vents on nearside had been distorted by 'someone' and this was letting in water.

Unfortunately over this last weekend the weather rained and if anything the leak is now worse.

The car is now booked back in for tomorrow morning (I have told them can spare it for up to 3 days) and will let you know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike,

The garage had the car back again for three days this week. They went over the same ground as before and this included removing the rear bumper again. This time they found that a grommet was not seated properly.

The work sheet/ charge sheet shows: 2 air ducts, 2 plates, 1 gasket,

1 screw, 1 stopper, 1 bolt, Sealant and paint.

This weekend we have had very heavy rain for 2 days and the car has been parked outside in this. Also, tonight I drove about 40 miles in heavy rain and had to drive through puddles that spanned the full width of some of the roads. The car has stayed dry inside. Whoopee!

What I do not understand is that if the rear bumper had to be removed to reach the air duct - then I assume the air duct is below the level of the chassis by the loading platform. Therefore how did the water get over the high bit of chassis under the rear seats and then to the floor pan where the rear passenger's feet rest.

When the car was leaking I could see water resting on a flat surface by the inner wheel arch. I could see this by removing the loading platform and removing storage pan which rests on the spare wheel and then with a torch and my head resting on the spare wheel I could see the water.

I'm not sure how this would happen this would for sure be a one time occurrence and not a common fault, this is strange for sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike,

To answer your question (1)

Yes I feel the problem has been solved and I have no further questions. I think my last reply explains why. I can now add that the work undertaken by the garage cost me well over £400.

To answer question (2)

Yes I have already given you a rating of GOOD and added suitable words. Also the £20 donation has already been taken from my bank account.

Best regards Clive