Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi there I got 53reg Toyota avensis 2.0 litre from 1st to 4th

Hi there I got 53reg Toyota avensis 2.0 litre from 1st to 4th gear is very sluggish no power at all upto 40 speed when it gets over 50 speed is ok can u please help me thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

can you tell me what engine fuel type this is please? petrol or diesel?

also when was its last serviced and how many miles are on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Diesel

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is diesel

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

This could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the inlet to the main engine fuel pump and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured to check that the turbo is healthy

If its a variable vane turbo ( they'll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphram / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years