indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician .
29331485

Hi, I have an 06 Yaris VVVT1 with 62000 on the clock. I've

I have an 06 Yaris VVVT1 with 62000 on the clock. I've had it about 5 months and, whilst it starts well and runs quietly on tick over while cold, when the engine's under load there's a distinct tapping noise which persists until it reaches normal running temperature, then it's fine. I've covered about 2500 miles during which I've put about 2.5 ltrs of oil in it, which seems a little excessive given that there are no leaks and no smoke. Is this normal?
I seem to remember reading that a worn timing chain can make a tapping type noise, is that correct? My mechanic says that timing chains are not normally a problem on the Yaris, or at least he's never had to change one.
Cheers *****
Category: Toyota
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.

Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Hi .

Timing chain will make this tapping sort of sound But will be present at all times engine heat will not effect .

But your hydraulic valve adjusters will this is typical with this engine and a good 20 minute engine flush will clean the valve adjusters out and sort out the tapping .

Now with the engine oil consumption on an engine with 80.000 miles you can calculate 1 ltr of oil for every 1000 miles so with 2500 miles 2.5l is normal, when i say normal i mean normal on this engine, as the oil rings on this engine are a known factor to cause oil consumption . the oil being burned in the combustion chamber will not cause the exhaust to smoke the mix ratio is to low ,
It is known when the oil consumption gets too high you may experience engine misfire and check engine light ON, with a P0300 code.

Please get back to me if you need further assistance with this issue But please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Kind regards Greg