indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician .
29331485

I have a Toyota Auris diesel, 57 plate, 80k on the clock.

I have a Toyota Auris diesel, 57 plate, 80k on the clock. it has problems starting, but once it starts it runs great. when it does start I get smoke from the exhaust for a couple of seconds then fine... full service history, mot'd fine, it used to be, in the first year I had it, it was a year old with 2500 on the clock, that it was on damp days that it happened but couldn't get it to happen consistently - now it's every day. I've read various sites that suggest its the scv, does this sound right or could I have a major repair bill on my hands?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

To be honest this sound like a glowplug issue .with the engine cranking over for a while then start the smoke from the exhaust is the diesel that has acccumulated in the cylinder
so when starts you will have a lot of smoke when starts .

Have the glow plugs system checked and replaced , with you having 80k i would suggest you replace them anyway .

Its going to be a cold winter so best have this checked and serviced .

Please get back to me if you need further assistance with this issue But please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Kind regards Greg
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience: Import technician .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the information Greg. I thought with this being an issue from it's early days that has got worse that it was unlikely to be the glow plugs but I'm happy to take the advice of someone who knows better :)

I used to have a local mechanic that I could trust (friend of the family) but I've moved and lost that contact and to be honest the confidence - and I'm relying on main dealerships where the labour costs are high, I've heard stories of "trial and error" repairs sometimes and I can't afford to throw that kind of money around.

I'm booked in to ***** ***** main dealership for a full diagnostic check on Thursday morning, dropping it off on Wednesday night so they get it as a cold starter on Thursday.

Thanks for your help