Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

is a fume problem in car all fillters changed eghaust checked

Customer Question

is a fume problem in car all fillters changed eghaust checked is making me ill have even been diagnosed whith c.o.p.d that i do defo not have do you have answer please
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Is this actually the Fumes? Or Fuel? you seem to smell?

Is this a Petrol or Diesel engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi robert its petrol their is no smell its taste and its very unplesant car had full service took it to toyota yesterday Grimsby macanic put tin spray sanitizer through all vents this has been done twice toyota macanic said its baffeld him its that bad i am thinking of giving up working am taxi driver can not aford another car and am 66 years old

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there sorry for the delay had a busy day..

Ok..Have they actually physically checked for a fuel leak on the engine - if as you say the petrol smell is that strong that would be one of the first things to be checking for - especially being petrol,this could be potentially dangerous if there is fuel leaking - they have to carefully check the "entire fuel system" from the tank right upto to the injectors - this would know doubt have to be checked whilst the system is upto to pressure not with the car off..so with the car running they have to check for leaks... another system they have to check is the EVAP system - this is the system that caputures the petrol vapours from the tank and stores it in within the evap canister thats filled with charcoal - until as such time whilst the engines running a valve solenoid allows the vapour from the canister to be sent to the intake/engine during induction cycle and basically burnt off.. so again the EVAP system has to be checked for leaks - they will need a smoke machine tester to check the evap lines for leaks/issues/operation of the solenoids etc unless otherwise seen to be damaged or broken..but they should also ensure the evap canister isnt filled with the fuel..as it should never have neat petrol in there..it just captures and stores the petrol vapour...so that about the only things that would cause a petrol smell into the cabin..unles the engine is pyhiscally over fuelling.in which case you would find the mpg considerably lower....But as above if those things havent been checked out as of yet then that would be one of the two places to be checked out...I do hope this helps