Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi, 2002 corolla D4D shutting down. I have cleaned the EGR

Hi, 2002 corolla D4D shutting down.
I have cleaned the EGR sensor, no change
I have fitted new SCV valves, no change, refitted old ones
I have cleaned out fuel tank, sender unit and pipework
I have bypassed the fuel filter, just the same
Toyota fault code is 78 = P0093 = fuel system leakage (large)
I disconnected the return fuel line where it drops down to go back to tank, hooked it up to clear pipe and into container. Turning over and idling sends fuel down the pipe at full bore but very little pressure. Is it supposed to do that?
And that is where I am atm
I am now thinking HP injector pump....
any help would be appreciated
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
The issue that you are having is a failure to the high pressure injector pump, the pump is loosing pressure internally and resulting in the shut down. To correct this issue the pump is going to need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, yes i think that is the problem now
Would the pump allow the engine to start and run smoothly for 2-3 mins before shutting down. i thought if the pump was leaking internally it would not start at all
I will see to it and let you know what happens if that is ok. Its gonna be a week or so.
Thank you. Dee
Yes as long as the pump has not completely failed the vehicle will still start and then die after the pressure bleeds off.
You can respond back to this question at anytime after rating positive if you need further help, otherwise the question will close. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I have just had the pump replaced with one that was known to be good. Unfortunately the problem is just the same. The engine started within five turns after the pump was fitted, ran for approx. two - three mins, cut down to limp home mode and then stopped. Still giving the code 78 which is the same as before.

Your thoughts, Dee

The only other issue besides the pump that would cause this issue is a mis-communication between the ECU and the pump. The ECU would need to be tested as a next step.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can the ecu be tested on the code reader. Or is it toyota only.
Strange that the fault code is the same as before. When i disconn the battery it resets itself so when i conn the battery again and start the engine it shows the code for fuel sys leakage.
Im running outa ideas at the moment
The ECU will need to be tested with a Toyota special diagnostic tool.