indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician .
29331485

2005 Toyota Rav4 1.8 - When changing gear from 2nd to 3rd and

Customer Question

2005 Toyota Rav4 1.8 - When changing gear from 2nd to 3rd and then to 4th, engine revs and power is lost for a moment until gear kicks in.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

First check your fluid level first with the engine running and in "P".

If fluid is good and clean and not a dark brown as opposed to a light Red then things are looking positive..

Next you need to be hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool to check for possible transmission malfunction codes .

If no codes then a line pressure test will have to be done .

Possible cause for this issue .valve body ,solenoids , will need testing to be sure, could be one of a a few possibility's

Please get back to me if you need further assistance with this issue But please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for coming back to me. My 2005 Rav 4 is manual transmission and has 215,000 kms on clock.

Does that alter the possible number of problems and checks that should be carried out.

Thanks,

John.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi John .

Yes this changes all .LOl .
This looks like a idle control issue ,check the throttle body for gunk id full od this remove and clean out making sure you clean out well .disconnect the battery before removing any electrical plug fittings ..

If check engine light is ON check for malfunction codes ,if not on then with you having 215.000 i would say a good throttle clean out will sort out this issue .

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I brought my car to a local service centre today(they were closed over Christmas and that was the reason for my online query). The problem was identified as hydraulic clutch failure and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi John .

Thank you for getting back to me and happy new year .

I would still have them check the throttle body , the Rev's dropping low between gear changing was most likely the clutch not disengaging fully.

Hope you have a great 2015 ..

Rgds Greg