Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Toyota hiace 1998 2.4d advise what can be done to get diesel

Customer Question

Toyota hiace 1998 2.4d advise what can be done to get diesel to the injectors when starting engine.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.

If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

it might also be worhtwhile replacing the fuel filter as even slightly clogged it can then struggle to pull the fuel through

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Matt, for the reply. I never thought of it. I will give a go and report back.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
No problem Marshall

good luck
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, still trying hard to start.I will let u know the outcome.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Understood
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Matt, On trying to primer pump diesel not flowing from the tank. I tried even with my mouth. Anything to be checked on the fuel tank.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Marshall

1st thing to try is opening the filler cap as its possible that the breather is blocked and creating a vacuum inside the tank

if this helps then replace the filler cap
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Matt , need more time.I will come back to u.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
understood
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
hi

do you still need help with this?