Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a RAV4 automatic. There is something wrong with the

I have a RAV4 automatic. There is something wrong with the gearbox in that it does not crunch when changing up or down gears but it jumps and jerks as if the fuel is cutting off or the gears do not pick up properly or something. This only happens in the low gears when pulling but does not happen every time, only sometimes so it is not consistent. It can go not doing it then it will start again day or two. It all started when I was running on a low petrol tank and was scraping the barrel looking petrol station - probably just a coincidence. Can you please help?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long response.
The issue that you are having is consistent with the torque converter splines becoming weak and starting to slip. This is a fairly common problem and will require the gearbox to be removed and the torque converter to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you answer. I meant to ask earlier, would you have any idea how much the work would cost approximately.
The labor will cost about 5 hours at the shops hourly labor rate and the part cost about 200, thank you.