Mike
Mike, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have loss of power on a Toyota Coralla diesel 2002 reg. Usually

I have loss of power on a Toyota Coralla diesel 2002 reg. Usually happens after foot taken off accelerator, then put foot down and nothing happens. i.e. at roundabouts, you leave at perhaps only 10 mph unable to accelerate even with foot flat on floor. It is not consistent, happens at times not all the time. No light has shown on dashboard, and three garages have done the plug in electronic test with nothing showing. What can it be?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is***** happy to help you --

Before we progress can I just ask - exactly what type of diagnostics were done on the vehicle.. just fault codes etc?

Too - what type of garage did the tests?

Which "pump vanes" are you referring to?

Have any other parts been replaced / items checked that you haven't mentioned?

Too - what is the mileage - and FULL reg please -

Please check and tell me if the engine fault light comes on -as it should - just when you switch the ign ON....

Once I hear back from you - I will get back to you asap thereafter -

Kind Rgds, MIKE.........................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

type of garage: Toyota main dealer & two other respectable garages

the electronic thing plugged in to seek fault codes - nothing shows

replaced Vacuum pump brake servo vanes

replaced Air & fuel filter and flow cleaned

Replaced fuel pump solinoid in 2010.

mileage - 193,000

FD02PFZ

Yes engine shape comes up in yellow when turned on

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Robin -
Thank you for your reply / further info..
From all that you have described, I feel your fault is most likely to be caused by the throttle sensor / pedal sensor.
This being drive by wire - you dont have the cable like the old ones - from the pedal to the carb - you have a sensor that when the throttle is pressed sends a signal to the Ecu - which then commands the electronic fuel injection / throttle body etc to operate accordingly.
Check the wiring first though - and the connections in the circuit.. Also, its a good idea to give the actual throttle body a good clean while you are there.. If that doesn't help a new TPS as above should cure this. They will not always flag a fault code when faulty - not if its not happening when tested.
So thats the way forward on this one now.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
-Meantime ----- Please do the rating for me at this time.. - Thank you in advance for that - ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating should you need more at all - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your advice. One quick question though - I friend, who did research on the internet came up with the same answer - I am wondering if you answered him a few days before you answered me - regarding same car - FD02PFZ.

It would interest me to know please!! I won't hold it against you obviously!!!!!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Robin -
Thank you for your reply - message.
No I dont recall at all any other question re a Toyota with the same issues as this... Mind you , there have been a lot of questions I have answered in the interim - but no - I would have remembered - because I would have thought to myself - am I answering the same guy twice .. ! question / subject matter rather than a name ringing a bell situation - ;)
--- Im glad to have helped you -
Per the way justanswer works Robin - Can I just ask you please to click on the Exc / OK ratings for me at this point -- Thank you in advance.
All the very best -- MIKE.
Mike, Toyota Mechanic
Experience: Tech Expert