Mike, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert

Toyota Aygo done 340 miles now in clutch but they say

Toyota Aygo done 340 miles now in for 2nd clutch but they say it's wear and tear and cannot be done on warranty. Can this be right. It bo ha to my mother who has had the car for 15 months!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is***** happy to help / advise -
Please can you confirm these mileages for me before we progress...
WHat mileage was on the car when your mother bought the car -?
What mileage was on it when it first needed a clutch change?
How much mileage was got before the 2nd clutch change?--
Have they shown you the old / worn out clutch parts - and shown you exactly how they have worn etc?
Does your mother or any other driver race the engine a lot especially when setting off?
Last - is the car in at a Toyota dealer?
Kind Rgds, MIKE..........................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car was brand new when mum purchased it. First clutch at 180 now back with dealer and mileage at 340. Not even done 500 miles. She had a Yaris for 10 years second hand and had one clutch so I don't think she races it. The garage have called today to say it cannot be done under warranty as it is wear and tear and they have already replaced a clutch
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply. Im sorry I missed you last eve..-- These mileages are extremely low.. I asked because I wondered if it was a typo - ie, thousands - not hundreds..As it is, that's ridiculously low - there are only two reasons, well possibly three - for a clutch to wear out so fast... One - as I asked - if the driver really races the engine when starting off most every time - and especially if they live on a hill - or the car "lives" at the bottom of a very steep drive - and one of these that races the engine and slips the clutch will cause premature wear / burn out. Two...If there is a fault with the clutch/es fitted.. and three.. a fault on the car with either the clutch actuating mechanism.. or workings. You need to think on the above then - evaluate if the car is driven as I've described or not.. and where its housed / lives etc - you will know on this , I cannot say of course. If that is the case, some cars last better - clutches / car parts last longer than others.. but that mileage is not good enough for you at all.. I suspect its more likely that there is a fault on the car as mentioned above -- You need to talk with the garage manager about this.. Even he will be wondering about these issues that I have mentioned - if he has anything about him he will have asked how the car is driven and where - etc..Then you need to fully discuss this with him as I say - tell him you have advice on this and its just not feasable - its just not normal for a clutch to wear out like that - so there has to be either a fault with the clutch ( type / make / batch ) that they are fitting each time.. or, there is a cause on the car causing the premature failures... and insist that he looks into this further from those angles to get get to the bottom of this properley for you. Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..-~~~ Meantime ----- Please do click on the Exc / Ok ratings for me at this time.. - Thank you in advance for that - ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating should you need more at all - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Toyota Mechanic
Experience: Tech Expert