Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

HiI have a problem with a 2003 Toyota Yaris idling too

Customer Question

I have a problem with a 2003 Toyota Yaris 1.0 petrol idling too high. When warm it's idling around 1400rpm. I bought it as a non runner and after swinging over the engine a few times I suspected a timing chain issue which when I removed the rocker cover I discovered was so loose the chain was skipping over the exhaust camshaft sprocket.
I suspected there may be valve damage but after fitting a new timing kit it fired up immediatly and runs fine. First pick of the key it starts and seems to idle smootly and drives fine with good power/accelleration
Other than high idle nothing seems amiss
Due to a noisy bearing I have changed the alternator to one from a 99 Jap built Yaris which is not exactly the same. (Had to change the pulley)
I have changed over the entire trottle body and checked that water was circulating through the little small pipes fed from the heater lines. I have changed all the sensors to no avail
It isn't bringing on the engine managment light nor is it showing up any fault codes
I'm running out of ideas and patience. Help!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.