Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

It seems impossible to remove the alternator from below OR

Customer Question

It seems impossible to remove the alternator from below OR from above without having to remove some other component.
I managed to unscrew the the pivot bolt and the adjusting bolt. the alternator is free to move around BUT I just CANNOT find adequate clearance to withdraw the alternator. I spent several hours trying to figure out how a trade mechanic would remove the alternator.
Please advise.
From a 'very frustrated d-i-y mechanic.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Ross, thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a diagnostic and repair technician and I look forward to working with you. Can you give me the details of the vehicle please as for some reason no info is showing on my side. e.g Make/Model, year and engine variant. thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ross

Make: Toyota

Model: Yaris

Variant: CCD or something like it (it has A/C, electric wing mirrors, alloy wheels, sun roof. Now, because it has air conditioning, there is compressor driven by the auxiliary belt and hence there is drive pully driven by this belt, which makes the area around the auxiliary bely quite congested and hence impossible to remove the alternator.

I have referred to the Haynes car manual for removal of the alternator and they say '...unhooking the exhaust manifold to allow removal of the alternator' but the exhaust manifold is not hindering the the withdrawal, its the drive shaft to the driver's side wheel that is the main obstruction. No mention is made regarding this in the Haynes manual.

I am a reasonably experienced and fairly competent D-I-Y mechanic ie I have replaced brakes, clutches, gearboxes, shock absorbers etc I have even re- built an Hillman Imp (a 40 year old car with a rear engine) etc.

I have all the correct tools, jacks etc But this alternator replacement problem has had me completely baffled and most frustrated. I literally spent about 5 hours yesterday trying all possible orientations to withdraw the old alternator and have come to the conclusion that it is simply IMPOSSIBLE to remove the alternator unless something such the drive arm is also removed, unless I am overlooking something obvious.

PLEASE ADVISE ASAP