indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician .
29331485

Hope u can help. I,ve just bought a 57 yaris. It is in excellent

Customer Question

hope u can help. I,ve just bought a 57 yaris. It is in excellent condition but it has an annoying noise. It is a T3 3cylinder engine. The noise is like a chattering sound as if something is catching as it goes round. It seems to be on the passenger side front but it's hard to be sure I'ts background noise and you hear it most at about 5omph , especially when u take foot off accelerator.It is more discernable taking left hand bends and u dont hear it on a right hand bend. My garage mec has looked at it and brake discs and bearings are fine.The only thing he could see is that that side shaft pulls out slightly but he thinks that is part of the design.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like an answer so I will wait - hopefully not too long.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Hi .
Sorry to have you waiting all this time .
One question is this noise only when moving or also when stationary .
If when only moving and when turning left then have your mechanic check the drive shaft outer CV joint .
This is a typical sound coming from the CV joint .
Have your mechanic lift the front end and start the engine and put in gear and turn the steering right and left this way he can locate the area of the clicking and see if its the CV joint .
Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply button and not the poor or bad service rate buttons .
This way i can get back to you and suggest other options or suggest another Expert .
Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Greg,

The noise is only when it is running whether going straight or turning & keeps pace with the speed i.e rapid at high speed & slows as car slows. Noise still there when running out of gear. It is more of a rubbing/.drumming sound rather than clicking & our mechanic doesn't think cv joint very likely cause.

Derek

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Derek.

Okay like i said best to have thefront end lifteed so the drive wheels are off the floor and run .this way he will be able to locate the noise .

Greg