Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Having fitted a new head plus all seals and gasgets car

Customer Question

Hi having fitted a new head plus all seals and gasgets car would not start but did eventually.But it will not rev up at all and loads of black smoke .
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i haven,t fixed it
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialities differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
If you haven't already then I would perform a compressiom test across all cylinders as they all should be within 10-15 ppsi of each other
If you have 2 cylinders lower than the rest then this indicates the cam timing is out
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cam timing is SPOT ON SO whats next
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ok in that case I'd suggest to check the cam position sensor and crank sensor for any damage to the sensor and the wiring and the connector if this all looks Ok consider replacing the cam sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok checked cam sensor and fitted a new one as it had a slight dent in end still no different !
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloOK then also checkthe connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electricalconnection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time whichcertainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with theEGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brakecleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. If this is OK thencheck the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid onthe bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to havethe boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check thatthe turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly If its a variablevane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate)then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to thediaphragm / solenoid valve