indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician .
29331485

Our Toyota Previa alarm keeps going off. Any ideas

Customer Question

Our Toyota Previa alarm keeps going off. Any ideas for trouble shooting. Also trying to lock car with key blade not fob but back lift up door doesn't seem to have a manual lock.....any ideas? Thanks Lorna
Category: Toyota
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Normally the most common issue on the priva is the bonnect switch first check this .and if on the dash you see a warning light saying a door is ajar check that the switches are working .

Best way to find this problem is with a toyota scan tool, this will let you know which switch is causing you this issue and upsetting the people on your street and yourself.Embarassed

The scan tool will also have relating malfunction codes, if its part of the system that has malfunctioned, or with live data will show you which switches are open or closed .if all doors are shut then the live data should show all switched closed, if one is open then thats the bad switch .

Then if needed please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok so basically I have to take it to the Toyota garage so they can scan it, is that correct. There is not much I can do to sort it out. I will try what you have suggested but there is no light on the dash. Also my secondary question on whether I can manually lock the boot has not been answered, I can lock all the doors manually which allows me to secure the car except for the boot. As I cannot get this investigated at a garage for a week I need to secure the car somehow as we are away from home...can you help with that? I have googled it and looked in the handbook but there is no info on locking the rear door. Thanks

Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lorna .
This is probably the the bad switch / locking actuator, the rear boot
this is what is setting off the alarm .
You could use your local repair garage and get them to remove the inner boot trim and check the actuator, this has most likely sized not letting you lock the door and causing the alarm to sound off .
Don't think you need to have the system scanned for codes as it all points towards the rear boot / door .
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I think you misunderstood, we can lock the boot with the key fob, but of course this sets off the alarm and so we want to try and lock the car without the key fob but couldn't work out how to lock the boot. However one of our neighbours has worked out a way we can do this so we can now secure the car. Thanks.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Okay good. now if after locking the boot and the alarm does no sound off
later in the night, then that was your problem and you still need to get this repaired so it will work with the remote .
Greg