indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician .
29331485

Occasionally when i start or try to start the car iget a click

occasionally when i start or try to start the car iget a click and no reaction ,,,the click appears to come from what looks like asolonoid just to the rear of thenear side battery..what is this unit and where can i get a replacement...the unit is black with 4 ht wires connected and what looks like one lesser wire....so annoying as the old girl is apleasure but i cant trust her to start every time....david dunnell
Category: Toyota
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
You sure its not clicking from the starter motor, as on top of this is a solenoid that tend to click when not working correctly , if you try and start the engine with quick succession of start- run- start the clicking will get faster and in some cases start .
This is a sign of a bad starter solenoid very common , in most cases all you need to do is replace the solenoid brass contacts , but when you have the starter out check the condition of the starter brushes if low replace at same time ,save you issue down the road .
http://imgur.com/youxIjY
Copy and paste this link in your browser for starter diagram .
Then if needed please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi.the clicking definitly comes from the black box fitted behind the left hand battery,is this box something to do with the 24 volt starting system fitted to these cars and if so where can i get a new unit ,,,,david
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
The black box will be your fuse's and relay box .so must be the starter relay that is causing you this issue.
You got this car running on a 24volt system .
Which engine do you have fitted and is this the 70 or 80 series .
Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi greg.....the 24 volt system is the original factory fitting but only for the starter....the engine is the original 80 series....as for the box,it is definitely not the fuse box....but is fitted near by....all i can think is that it is some gismo to connect up the two batteries on starting....thanks for your efforts...david
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi David .
Could you post me a photo ,maybe upload it here .
http:/imgur.com/
Cheers Greg..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi greg,alas i am not clever enough to send pics....but at the weekend will get someone to do it for me...please bear with me....will be in touch...david
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi David, no problem what so ever .
Thank you for letting me know .
Have a great weekend .
Greg