indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician .
29331485

Toyota Yaris, bought new, miles = 27881 never ever any trouble

Customer Question

Toyota Yaris, bought new, miles = 27881 never ever any trouble used non leaded premium petrol, never any rubbish, regular maintenance as per Toyota. Couple days ago rattle from engine area on starting engine then when pulled away no rattle. MOT cert given by Toyota Croydon and Visual Safety Report says
"rattle from engine when cold, carbon build-up, decoke and modified pistons req."
Fitted price £2208.
Decoke at 27881 miles !! Modified pistons!!! on modern engine that's good for 100,000 miles.
Uses no oil, exhaust very clean, cannot smell anything on hand held in exhaust stream, exhaust pipe and things firm do not rattle by hand. Advice please.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Looks like the plastic engine cover was the problem ,
But what the MOT man said was a load of hogwash never heard so much you know what .
But normally on this car its know for timing chain rattle, this happens when starting cold, for a split second this can be normal on some engine with good amount of mileage on them and over 100k may rattle a little longer .
This is the time for the chain to be replaced but not had to do one under 150k on this engine .
In Your case i can't see it being anything but the plastic cover if now after refitting it correctly the rattle has stopped .
If the rattle does come back after starting then have the timing chain checked .
If needed please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Rgds Greg