Mike
Mike, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 2009 aygo mmt. When driving first thing in the morning

I have a 2009 aygo mmt. When driving first thing in the morning the car judders in first gear, which I believe is a trait of the mmt gearbox when diven in automatic mode. The worrying thing is the loud mechanical bang that comes from the engine bay. The only way to describe the noise is its the same sound as hitting a large pothole in the road. My wife is very concerned about pulling out at junctions just incase the car fails her. Thank you
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is MIKE..
Can I just ask - what mileage does the car have?
Do you get any fault lights on at all?
What tests / checks have been done thus far?
Rgds, MIKE..................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike. The car has done 50k and there are no warning lights. Toyota have checked it and recalibrated it yesterday. The problem only seems to occur in the first few minutes of driving it and the loud bang may only happen every three to four days! This morning we were in a queue of traffic moving slowly, as i press on the accelerator it feels as though it wants to stall, hence the juddering and then the bang from the right hand side under the bonnet.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please could you reply to my question.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again..I do apologise - Im afraid I was off when you replied and then until now..so Im sorry about that.Thank you for your reply and info -- Just one other thing I need to ask - has it has a transmission fluid change at all ?....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike. I'm not sure as we have only had the car for three months.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi there - Ok - I asked about that because I know that on some models - depending on the VIN.. Toyota advised changing the fluid / oil that was in the trans for synthetic engine oil.... Your dealer that has been dealing with it will know about this and will be able to check using your VIN - so I would suggest to mention that too them... It corrected "change" issues in the trans -and may be whats going on with yours.The "bang" worries me though - Another thing though thats worth just asking the dealer about is - has it has the trans TCM ( computer ) updated - had its software updated? Ask them - if not - as them to do it.. its onopy a half hour job and again, may be the answer.Its certainly worth looking into the above two things - because if neither cure it, then its going to be an internal issue / fault in the trans - and thats going to mean an expansive strip & repair.-- So I would suggest to ask them as above... and go from there.IF you find that doesn't cure it - either or as above.. then if it comes to looking like it needs a strip repair - I would strongly suggest to use a local Auto Trans place - as they will be considerably cheaper than a dealer for you --I hope that helps you further - that is the way to go now on this for sure.Best Rgds, MIKE.~>>~ - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again.. Im just checking to see if you need anything more on this or if we are done I just need you to click on the OK / Exc ratings for me at this point - Thank you. Please let me know..Kind Rgds, MIKE.