Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Are there any known issues or things to look out

Hi, are there any known issues or things to look out for when buying a 2005 Avensis 1.8 petrol? Also, what common things go wrong with the diesel model around the same year? Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello What to watch out for 161PS 2.4 litre engine was short lived. Lasted in production only from 2003 to 2005.Reports of rattle from steering column/steering rack. Initially irritating rather than dangerous and replacements in short supply. Not replaced under warranty unless actually dangerous. Later recalled.Report of creaking from caused by severe corrosion of the steering rackMake sure recall work has been carried out. If the engine intermittently cuts out and the fault cannot be diagnostically traced it may be due to a faulty safety fuel cut-off solenoid switch. On D-4D, cutting out can also be caused by a build of of salts on a hot wire in the mass airflow sensor.Reports of speed humps damaging the rear suspension.Report of front wheel bearing failure at 6 months old.Early 1.8 and 2.0 litre VVT-i engines can start to use up to a litre of oil every 600 miles after 40,000 miles due to a bore liner problem and/or being fitted with slightly undersize pistons. By February 2009 Toyota had extended the warranty on these engines to 6 years or 100,000 miles. Cars built from July 2005 should not have this problem.Early 2.2 chain cam diesels are gaining a reputation as moderate oil burners, consuming around 1 litre of oil every 5,000 miles with this considered "normal" by Toyota.Headlight bulb holders can melt, making replacement of bulbs impossible. Toyota replaces headlight units under warranty.Clutches can fail quite early. Clutch trouble with T180 due to a problem with the master cylinder, not the clutch itself, clutch release or slave cylinder. Failed glow plugs reported on 4 year old D-4Ds. Cost £300 to replace.Can develop manual gearbox bearing problems. Several reports of this.On 2.0 belt cam D-4Ds reports of "turbos failing and destroying engines at 80k - 100k miles". Probably what is meant is that the swirl flaps in the inlet manifold break off and are ingested into the engine. Report of one turbo failing at just 9 months old.High level brake light can fail completely and the whole unit needs replacing, cost £80.Squealing brakes can sometimes be cured by fitting a shim in the calipers. Toyota dealers know about this. reports of head gasket failures on 2.0 litre D-4Ds and of cylinder head problems on 2.2 diesels (see WB553 under 'recalls'). These seem to be consequential of water pump failure. Overheating as a result can damage the block and liners to the extent that the car needs a new engine. Don't reckon on very high, trouble-free mileages for these engines, and if you have one keep a close eye on the temp gauge and header tank level. With 2.2 litre diesels, problems over regenerating of DPFs can lead to overfuelling that can damage the piston rings and bores. Apparently Toyota has extended the warranty to 5 years (even on 3 year warranted cars) to cover this. Headlamp bulb holders disintegrate. Toyota extended the warranty to six years, but out of warranty a pair costs £500. On belt-cam 2.0 litre diesel engines the waterpump must be replaced at the same time as the timing belt. They are prone to breaking up and when they do they throw the belt off. Recalls26-8-2003: build dates 15-1-2003 to 14-3-2003: on 1,550 cars incorrectly positioned brake pipes to ABS actuator may lead to imbalance under heavy braking.26-8-2003: build dates 8-3-2003 to 14-3-2003: on 29 cars, curtain airbag actuator may be incorrectly assembled. January 2004: "condition with the rear brake caliper which may cause the brake fluid level light to illuminate."May 2006: Toyota Service Bulletin issued concerning oil consumption problem of 1.8 VVT-I engines built up to July 2005. Affected models are: Avensis ZZT221, ZZT251, ZZT220, ZZT250.September 2006: Official Safety Recall: Concern : STEERING MAY FAIL It is possible that the connections at the intermediate shaft and sliding yoke of the steering column may become loose and if the symptoms are ignored steering control can be lost. Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and replace the steering intermediate shaft. In addition, inspect the sliding yoke and intermediate shaft extension and replace if necessary. This recall is staggered starting with Prius and Corolla. Avensis customer letters will be sent out over the next three months.13-09-2006 Avensis steering may fail. VIN JTDKB2#U#03000017 to JTDKB2#U#03139876, build dates: 01/08/2003 to 30/11/200526-1-2011: Toyota GB announced it will recall a number o f its Toyota Avensis and Lexus IS 250 models in the UK to carry out modifications to their fuel systems, following customer feedback in other markets. It is working with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) to contact registered owners and keepers by letter to advise them of the procedure for taking their vehicle to an authorised Toyota or Lexus repairer for the necessary repair work to be done. The issue affecting certain Avensis 2.0-litre and 2.4-litre petrol engine models, produced between July 2000 and September 2008 and is related to potential concerns with the fuel system. The first is related to the fuel pipe, where small cracks can potentially develop after a long period of time. The second concern is related to potential insufficient tightening of the fuel pump check valve. In the worst case, these issues may cause fuel to leak. There have been no reports of accidents related to this condition. No complaints related to this issue have been reported in the UK. The repair involves replacing the fuel pipe and the fuel pump check valve. The job will take approximately two to four and a half hours to complete, at no cost to the customer. Approximately 15,500 UK registered Avensis vehicles are affected by this recall. TSB WB553 issued 7-12-2010 (and repeated 1-4-2011):To be circulated to relevant staff within the Toyota Centre Network only. Please circulate and return to the Service Manager for central file.Centre Principal, After Sales Manager, Sales Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager, Sales StaffOur ref WB553 (v1.1)First Issued 7th Dec 2010Last Revised 1st Apr 2011AD Engine Out of Warranty Guidelines (0730J)We are pleased to advise that we have received more formalised guidelines from TME for the handling of AD engine problems on out of warranty vehicles. The coverage and processes are summarised below.Conditions Covered1) Oil consumption worse than 0.5 litre per 621 miles (1,000 km)2) Overheating & Head Gasket failure due to carbon deposits on the pistons For all other out of warranty conditions related to AD engine problems, where the customer complaint can be directly linked to a “carbon clogging” concern, i.e. EGR Valve, DPNR, 5th Injector, EGR Cooler,blocked manifold, etc., we would accept this as being linked to an oil consumption condition.Vehicles CoveredThose vehicles fitted with AD diesel enginesAvensis with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Feb 2009)RAV4 with 2AD (Prod. Date: Jul 2005 to Dec 2008)Auris with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Sep 2006 to Sep 2009)Verso with 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Nov 2008)Age / Mileage CoveredThese guidelines cover vehicles up to 7 years old and 111,846 miles (180,000 km), whichever the sooner. This is conditional on there being a retail customer complaint and the vehicle having been reasonably maintained.Claim Policy1) Prior Approval is not necessary if the claim is within the period of coverage, i.e. 7 years, 111,846 miles.2) If the vehicle is still within warranty, submit a normal claim using the standard flat rate operation numbers.3) The maintenance history should be checked and claims will not be accepted if due to poor maintenance. Please keep details of the service history with the job card set in case you are asked for it.4) For cases where the vehicle is out of warranty, e.g. over 3 years or 60,000 miles (whichever the sooner), please use the Special Operation numbers and times from the table on the following page.14-11-2012: Toyota GB registered recalls for certain Avensis and Corolla models (July 2001 to March 2009) and for Prius (July 2003 to April 2009) with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA). All models are previous generation, i.e. not new models currently on sale. On certain Avensis, Corolla and Prius models (July 2001 to April 2009) there is a possibility of an issue with a component in the steering system, prompting a knocking or rattling and possibly a reduction in steering response. In such circumstances, the vehicle will remain safe to drive. There have been nine reported cases of this issue in Europe and no reports of any associated accidents. 1: Due to insufficient hardness treatment of some of the extension shafts, the splines that connect the extension shaft to the steering gearbox may deform if the steering wheel is frequently and forcefully turned to the full left or full right position while driving at slow speeds. This deformation may create increased internal clearance and the splines may eventually, over time, wear out. Toyota dealers will inspect the extension shaft to determine if it needs to be replaced and, if confirmed, will replace it. The inspection and repair will take approximately one hour.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Brilliant reply. You clearly know your game. Thank you very much