Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Toyota has just developed braking problems, it squeaks anytime

Customer Question

My Toyota has just developed braking problems, it squeaks anytime I drive for a long time. What do I do?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Brake squeal is caused by the pad vibrating at high speed on the disc you should find under a hard stop the squealing stops.

Its quite common in high performance cars and there are a few things to try and solve it:

1) strip the calipers down, remove the pads and clean out all the pad grooves and location in the caliper, smear a thin layer of copper grease on the metal back of the pads where they touch the piston and where they rub in the tracks of the calliper also clean the calliper tracks of debris and dust before re-fitting the pads.

The copper grease won't melt under hi temps so DO NOT get it on the brake disc or friction face of the pads, it does however keep the brakes working smoothly and help reduce any squeal as it damps things out

2) As above but fit an anti-squeal shim as well, these are a either stainless steel shim or sticky plastic pad which fits between the piston and pad and also acts as a vibration damper.

3) file a small chamfer on the leading edge of the pads as this encourages the pad to sit squarely on the disc and not point load on one edge

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.