Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 1990 mr2 boot will not open,the key lock is vertical instead

Customer Question

my 1990 mr2 boot will not open,the key lock is vertical instead of horizontal and the catch inside the car is doing nothing and believe it or not I have my wifes Christmas presents in there,help.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello if you haven't already try applying some downward pressure to the edge of the lid whilst your assistant pulls on the leveralso try running some oil into the lock with the key halfway in so it runs down the keyleave it to soak in for 20 mins then try again alternatively you can open the engine lid. And you'll see the boot hinges. By filing off the one end of the pin on the hinges you can then push them out. Then you'll be able to pull the boot up and pop it open from the inside. Then just replace the pins with 10 mm bolts
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.