indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician .
29331485

POO31 error Toyota Avensis 2005 auto petrol. Changed sensor

Customer Question

POO31 error Toyota Avensis 2005 auto petrol. Changed sensor with OEM. Got same error which occurs 5- 10 minutes of driving.
Checked resistance of heater circuit and it is approx 13 ohms
Checked heater voltage with ignition on but engine off. And 12 volts is measured between wire and chassis grnd but not between the two wires themselves.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Hi the P0013 is not for the O2 sensor heater circuit but for your Cam shaft actuator .
Camshaft Position "B" Actuator Circuit / Open
(Bank 1)
This DTC is designed to detect opens or shorts in the camshaft oil control valve (OCV) circuit.
If the OCV's duty-cycle is excessively high or low while the engine is running, the ECM will illuminate the MIL and set the DTC.
The VVT (variable valve timing) system adjusts the intake valve timing to improve the driveability.
The engine oil pressure turns the camshaft actuator to adjust the valve timing.
The OCV is a solenoid valve and switches the engine oil line. The valve moves when the ECM applies the 12 volts to the solenoid.
The ECM changes the energizing time to the solenoid (duty-cycle) in accordance with the camshaft position, crankshaft position, throttle position, etc.
This P0013 DTC is designed to detect opens or shorts in the camshaft oil control valve (OCV) circuit.
The problem is in most cases low engine oil or the OCV valve has malfunctioned .
Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excuse me, the error code is POO31 NOT POO13! The error code is quite clearly stated in my message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please pass my request on to another expert.Thanks
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
So sorry my mistake no idea why i seen 13 and nor 31 must of been the new year party ;-)... Okay this code is the heater element side of the system ,you have on the heater wire low voltage this could be the new sensor you installed or the wiring harness to the sensor has a short etc.In many case we have seen if you use a aftermarket sensor this is the problem seen a lot of bosch sensors cause this where a NKG sensor is needed. If you use the correct sensor from Toyota ,NGK Denso then this should be good . If sensor wiring harness prove to be good then your problem could be the ECM as this controls the ground of the sensor. Check at the sensor (fig 1 ) pin 1 should have 12 volts, if no voltage check the fuse in the fuse box under the bonnet .if you have voltage of 12volts plus (Battery Voltage) then check the wiring harness from the sensor to the ECM .Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,A bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks for this.I have 12V between pin 2 and chassis but get nothing between Pin1 and pin 2 or between pin 1 and chassis. so does it not seem there is a problem with the ground? (Also dont understand why you say I should have 12 v at pin 1??)Which fuse do I need to check in the bonnet?Where is the ECM and what does it look like?Thanks
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Under the bonnet is the main fuse box ,on the lid is the fuse locations list ,looks like you may just have a bad fuse . Check this then please get back to me . Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I checked all the fuses but it would be helpful to know what is the name of the fuse I am looking for so I can recheck that particular one. So which fuse is it that powers the heaters in the sensors?
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Okay let me check my data and see if i can post it for you . Did you follow the wiring up from pin 1 to the fuse box as from there maybe you break or short . Greg
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Fuse /relay box is on the firewall and relay 1 should be replaced to see if this is the problem .Then with the Ignition switch on, check at the plug af the A/F sensor for power. Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiHiAs mentioned I am getting 12v at + B, between +B and body of the car, so would that not imply that the relay and fuse are working fine??What I am not getting is a grnd at HA1A. so either that wire is faulty or the ECM is not connecting the circuit to a grnd. Where is the ECM?
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Check at the ECM if you are getting a reading, if you are then you have a faulty connection at the ECM or a bad ECM.. Pull the connection on the ECM and check for bent pins or bad connector looks good try another ECM. ECM location behind the glove box. Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try that but will have to be next weekend now as I am not around in the daytime to test. But have also read somewhere that if the POO31 code occurs then the ECM enters a failsafe mode in which case it turns off the sensor heater....is this true? If so then arent we barking up the wrong tree?
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
You have to clear codes each time you test , battery disconnected each time for best results .but no we are not barking up the wrong tree as power will always be there to the ECM , ECM only grounds the line
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiIf I rate you now can I still seek advice on this issue? As i stated I will not be able to do any more testing till this saturday as it is dark by the time I get back from work.Regards
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
If you rate me know in a positive way you can come back anytime ,with no extra charge .No time limit after accepting . Rgds Greg
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience: Import technician .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiI tried sourcing a second hand sensor and one of the potential suppliers has confused me a bit. Can you please just confirm that if you open the bonnet and stand in front looking at the engine, where/which is bank 1, sensor 1 on my model?Thanks
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi .
Sure no problem .
Bank 1 sensor 1 is the first A/F sensor on the exhaust just before the catalytic converter and just after the exhaust manifold .
http://imgur.com/220trtx
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThe picture is not that of my engine and the caption at the bottom says NIssan.When I open the bonnet and look at the engine I see 4 sensors. Top left, top right, bottom left and bottom right. Which one is bank 1, sensor 1 for a TOYOTA AVENSIS, 2.0, AUTO, PETROL HATCHBACK, 2004, REG: GP05HCDThanks
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
okay its the one with the Number 1 cylinder as shown ,sorry posted wrong pic ,was for another customer . Rgds Greg