indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician .
29331485

My ,000 mile 2014 Landcruiser Colorado D4D 3 litre diesel

Hi, my 69,000 mile 2014 Landcruiser Colorado D4D 3 litre diesel automatic isn't charging. The battery went down and the battery warning light came on. I have charged the batteries , they are fine. What is the likely problem? Do you think the alternator can be fixed or will it need changing ( is is easy to replace the bushes with alt. still on the car?). The belt is fine the alternator is going round without any funny noises.
I would be grateful for your advice. Pete
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should add that I am a doctor, but have an engineering background ( degree in engineering), and did a lot of car mechanic'ing in my youth. I have a voltmeter somewhere. I say this to help pitch your answer appropriately.
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Hi Pete .
If the alternator is not charging then you may have a problem with the voltage regulator .
To replace the regulator the alternator has to come out as this alternator is a IC system meaning voltage regulator in internal .
Best way to test is with a voltmeter connected to the battery ,good full charged battery will have around 12.6 volts .
Start engine and with the engine running the voltage at the battery must have 14 +/-.5 volts .
if you still have battery bower then the alternator is not working and must be removed to repair or replace .
Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied.
IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have.
I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Kind regards Greg.