Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Greg I have a 2005 land cruiser that smokes a whole lot when i start it up but the smo

Customer Question

Hi Greg
I have a 2005 land cruiser that smokes a whole lot when i start it up but the smoke stops straight away. I am looking to get it fixed and dont want to use a main dealer
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it. If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil. If you do find oil replace the valve Also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal if you can tell me your location I'll try and locate a specialist in your area