Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Good evening - We have a Toyota Yaris 1.4 Petrol 2012 with

Good evening - We have a Toyota Yaris 1.4 Petrol 2012 with only 10,0000 miles on the clock ! Within the past week my wife has had trouble selecting reverse and more recently 1st gear also. Upon further investigation the clutch pedal has considerable play in it and doesn't begin to engage until halfway to the floor. This clearly appears to be a Hydraulic problem as it disappears temporarily when you pump the pedal. I believe the Hydraulic Cylinder on the Yaris (as with many now ) is inside the Gear box ? I am certain there is 'Air' in the Hyd. Cylind. but is this a clutch problem also ? As you can see this is a new vehicle and v. well looked after - can anyone help me please ? Thanks Michael
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello you're correct in saying that the slave cylinder for the clutch is inside the gearbox the first thing to do is bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air outI favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.If this doesn't help then next check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots as any lost motion means reduced effort at the gearbox and replace as necessary. Ideally have your assistant move the gear lever with you watching the linkage and see if you can spot where there is any excessive play or lost motion.If its a cable type linkage check along the cable lengths for any damage or signs of heavy wear / fretting, if you find any replace the cable. There may be some adjustment on the cable tension at the gearbox end (depending on the year) and the cable should be tensioned so there is a minimum of slack but not so its taughtThen check gearbox oil levels and if its not been changed in the last 20K miles then drain it off and fill with fresh. I can strongly recommend the use of Castrol Syntrans 75W90 (was called SMX-S) as I've known it help with shift issues on many manual gearboxes If you still have issues with the hydraulics and its good after bleeding but then gets worse after a few days / hours, then I'd try leaving the clutch pedal held down overnight by bracing the pedal against the seat base with a piece of wood or similar, this is to try and force the seals inside the slave to take a set in the right orientation as over time they can shrink and dw air back in when you take your foot off the pedal. This shrinkage isn't enough to leak any fluid but the gap is big enough to draw air in (gas being harder to seal than fluid) if this doesn't work I'm sorry to say that the slave cylinder is going to need changing. also if the fluid is dark in colour this is a sign the seals are breaking up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt - thanks for your help on this issue however I was asked what action has already been taken and I'd said that the system has already been bled but NO better ! As I've said this car has done 10k only just over three years old so I don't believe it'll be the seals but am sure air is getting into the system somewhere ? M
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello in that case then check over the state of the clutch pedal for any cracks as its not unknown for the pedal welds to break and so the pedal just flexes instead of pushing the clutch master cylinder and I'd also check the condition of the flexible hose that is part of the hose that runs between the master and slave cylinders as its not unheard of for these to balloon with pressure instead of transferring the pressure
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you