Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Matt I have a problem with my girlfriend's Toyota. The battery

Customer Question

Hi Matt I have a problem with my girlfriend's Toyota. The battery had died so I have replaced it, but where before the warning lights in the dashboard would all light up when the engine revs were low, now they are on all the time and I get the impression that there is no power coming from the alternator. On the day that the panel lights were going on and off we noticed that the windscreen wipers were moving far faster than normal, do you think the voltage regulator is the problem or an earthing issue( the battery negative has a less than perfect connection to the chassis)? Thanks -
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello You can check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright. if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charged