Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2007 manual Rav4. I recently started to behave as

Customer Question

I have a 2007 manual Rav4. I recently started to behave as if the clutch was slipping as the engine would rev but little power was available to the wheels. This lasted for about 30 seconds and then all became normal and still is ok. I have checked the clutch by chocking the wheels and stalling the engine on high revs. No sign of slippage.
I have been told that this could be a fault in the transfer case.
Regards ***** *****
CX 57 VHB
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello John,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish you to continue. I have not had any response at all to date.
John Lumsden
Hello John,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello John I'd suggest to try switching the car into 4WD and see how this effects thingsfrom your description I'd say that its possibly a broken driveshaft joint thats being countered by the use of the 4wd system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Rav4 is in permanent 4W drive (progressive) . You cannot manually switch in or out of 4WD.
It has also performed fine since the one occurrence which lasted for about 40 secs and continued over a distance of about 1/4 mile.
It was exactly the effect which you would experience with a very worn clutch, excessive revs and almost no acceleration.
I have tested the clutch again and stalled from 3000 revs. with no slippage.
RegardsJohn Lumsden
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello John ok in that case try pulling out fuse 17 in the interior fuse box as this should turn off the rear haldex clutch and put the car into 2WD, then repeat your stall test