Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Rav 4 problem on start-up waterflows out of exhaust

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

can you elaborate on how much water in terms of volume is running out?

as a bit of dripping 1st thing in the cold morning is quite normal as the cold air inside heats up and creates condense

if its more than this then the next thing to check is if your coolant level on the engine is dropping over time

as if the engine head gasket has failed or there's a crack in the cylinder head then this can also produce water into the exhaust

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you