Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2008 rav4 xtr petrol 2.0 litre clunking sound when braking,

2008 rav4 xtr petrol 2.0 litre clunking sound when braking, garage want to change rear calipers and slide pins but car is only 8 years old with 63,000 miles and is a Toyota - find this hard to believe can you offer any opinion
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

what can happen is that pattern brake pads can sometimes be a poor fit in the caliper and so clunk or rattle when you apply the brakes

so I'd start by checking the fit of the pads in the caliper and also strip the calipers down and clean them thoroughly of dirt and caked on brake dust and corrosion then apply plenty of copper grease to the pad sockets and the back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt, Should have said that garage fitted new brake pads and then 'clunking' started, they have examined and tested foc and could not find anything wrong. I asked were they sure they had fitted the correct pads and they said yes but then took the car for a full day to test and examine and came up with a diagnosis that I needed replacement calipers and slide pins at a cost of about £400 ... damned expensive brake pads !!! Would you agree with this diagnosis and would it cure the 'clunking' ?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

this really sounds like they've fitted the wrong or poor quality pattern pads to me

if the car went into the shop with non clunking brakes, they fitted new pads and then its clunks, then the evidence is quite damning

if you still have the original pads then you could compare the fit of these original parts to the replacements