Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I own a previa 1998 model 2.4 petrol. it has LPG gas fitted.

Customer Question

I own a previa 1998 model 2.4 petrol . it has LPG gas fitted . when starting from cold in mornings ( on petrol) engine is Hunting then revs up & down 500 to 600 refs till warm then auto onto LPG & runs sweet . Please any ideas
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

this could be a vacuum leak after the MAF (mass air flow) sensor thats mounted on the air intake pipe

any air pulled in here post meter isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and results in the engine running roughly and hunting as you describe

the best way to locate an air leak is to have the engine running and then spray lighter gas around each possible joint / rubber hose etc post MAF

if there's a leak then the engine will pull the gas in and rev up

now its not as dangerous as it might sound as you need a naked flame or spark to ignite the gas and I've used this method for many years without incident

usually this sort of thing is a cracked or perished rubber vacuum hose, so can be repaired very cheaply

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you