Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 98 corolla 1600rs. The rear crossmember has a hole

Hi! I have a 98 corolla 1600rs. The rear crossmember has a hole in it and i intend removing it and either patching it or, if the rust is too much, building a replacement from scratch, my welding is well up to the task either way.
My question is as to how it is secured. As far as i can see there are only four bolts two to either side attaching it to the main chassis rails. As i have a haynes manual which hardly mentions the crossmember at all i want to know if there are any bolts further securing the member from the passenger compartment.
Thank you fir your time.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anybody out there? ��
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

you have it right , there are only those 4 large bolts that secure the job

also there are the wheel hub link bars that join to the body, so soak the retaining bolts in WD40 or similar beforehand as they can seize up

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cool! I thought so but it is always nice to know before you find youself having to get back in a car up on ramps and stands to dig around in its guts for internal bolts. Thank you.