Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2004 Toyota RAV4 XT4 which has started beeping from

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Toyota RAV4 XT4 which has started beeping from somewhere behind the dash when I drive. The beeping is a constant tone when I brake, otherwise it beeps every few seconds, getting slightly faster over about 40mph. The are no warning lights showing, and I can't detect anything wrong.
It's clearly trying to tell me something, but there's nothing about this in the drivers handbook.
Any ideas what it might be, please?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  victoria-mod replied 1 month ago.
Victoria
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please keep trying to find an answer.
I think it is the seatbelt warning bleeper that is making the sound, (somewhere near the steering column,) but both seatbelt warning lights are off. The frequency of the beeps increases roughly every 10 mph, and emits a steady constant tone any time you depress the brake pedal.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

hello

1st thing to check is the level of the brake fluid in the reservoir

as there's a level sensor built into the fluid cap and if its low this sets off the beeper

if the level is OK then disconnect the level sensor and see if this stops the beeper

if it does then try removing the sensor and clean it out with some brake cleaner to see if this helps

if not it may need replacing

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you