Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

How many components does a Toyota Prius have? How does this

Customer Question

How many components does a Toyota Prius have?
How does this compare to a normal combustion engine car?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

a Prius still has a normal combustion engine ? As well as the electric motor and battery pack so its more complex with more parts than a conventional car

in the next few years hybrids ( like the prius) will become the norm

and a normal car has about 5000 parts and I'd say Prius is 10-20% more so 5500 to 6000 parts

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, I am trying to understand if having a Prius will cost more to maintain due to its increased number of parts and whether local garages can handle the increased level of complexity of hybrid car such as the Prius?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

to be honest the hybrid system and battery is very well engineered and problems are few. but there's no getting away from the fact there is more on the car to go wrong and you'll need specialised help if the charging system fails

so all the regular car aspects you can have serviced at a regular garage but anything to do with the electrics will need a different skill set

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you