Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Need new clutch for my d-4d hiace. trouble is, my van was

need new clutch for my d-4d hiace. trouble is, my van was built as non-turbo. but the engine in mine has a turbo. SO where is the engine no. on the engine block so i can order the right clutch. patrick
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

the number is ***** the side of the engine block towards the fan belt end

see the attached image

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks. I will check it out. may need to come back to you re: no turbo effect. But getting the cam belt changed ASAP as I dont know how many miles present engine has done. will get valve clearances done as well. patrick
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues
Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running

Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump /or turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost

If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks for that. I will get it checked when cam belt is done. patrick.