Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2004 toyota avensis 1.8 just to-day vsc and trc off

i have a 2004 toyota avensis 1.8 just to-day vsc and trc off have appeared on my dashboard also a diagram of an engine .As it is the 3oth of december i cannot contact my garage,can i continue to drive and how serious is it . My car is due for service in january Jeff
Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has the car been handling lately?
Customer: 135000 miles no problems handling to-date
Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Toyota?
Customer: 1.8 terra salon
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i havent tried anything
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello Jeff and welcome to Just Answer

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

You can also try resetting the car by removing both battery leads and clamping them together for 10 mins as this will reset everything so if the light re-appears then the fault is still there.
Disconnect the battery cables and clamp them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

usually if the car drives OK then its not too serious but I'd also check the oil and coolant levels

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt