Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was stopped by police in a misuse of the blue badge issued

Customer Question

I was stopped by police in a misuse of the blue badge issued by the council for my disabled daughter wile she wasn't with me at the moment of the offence. the police officer has decided to send the case to the court on behalf of the council. What are the consequences if I don't attend the court the day of the hearing? Many thanks.
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. i will try to help with this.

Are you on a summons?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I am on a summons.

If you don't answer a summons then they will just hear the case in your absence.

The Crown will have to prove that the summons was properly issued so that you knew that you were due at Court. If they get over that hurdle though they will just apply to hear in absence and it probably will be granted.

The risk of that though is that you will be convicted and have to pay court costs. This does sound like a simple trial where the only witnesses are police officers but it would still be in the low hundreds and if you attend and plead it would only be £85.

There is no bail act offence in failing to answer a summons. You are not on bail.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.