Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi,I have recently received a letter from roxburghe debt collectors

Customer Question

Hi,I have recently received a letter from roxburghe debt collectors saying I owe them £78 for an unpaid parking fine at a hospital. This apparently took place 4 months ago. I revived no fine on my windscreen,nor have I received any contact about this matter since.i have read that this could be a scam? I'm not sure what to do
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. i will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
For jomo1972
Could this be correct that this is a scam? Should I ignore the letter?
No, its not a scam.

What was the date of the offence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
For jomo1972

29 nov 2012, there was no ticket on my car and I have no letter about this matter until today

Thats a shame. After the new law so you are caught.

Do you deny parking there ?

Did you buy a ticket?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
For jomo1972

It was a long time ago,I don't remember being there in that date.
But why has it taken til now to receive anything,can I not appeal against it?

You will have missed the appeal procedure but it isn't worth much anyway.

This is a private land fine. They used to be very easy to escape by refusing the details of the driver. Unfortunately the law changed from the 5 October 2012 to make the registered keeper liable if he doesn't name the driver.

They used not to sue very often for the money but they are becoming more aggressive now. There is probably about a 50% chance they would.

If they do sue then you can raise any defence. There is no defence in saying that you didn't get the ticket though. This is not a council fine.

To be wholly honest, its quite unlikely that you weren't there at all. They must have recorded your number in order to track you at the DVLA and they would only have that if you had parked there.

They do have to prove the sum of their loss. Usually they claim for admin costs and sometimes get them.

They will only get the sum of the original fine plus court costs. The court costs might be waived if the court accepts that you didn't get the fine.

If you ignore them there is still a reasonable chance that nothing might happen.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.