Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Can an off duty police officer make a complaint to your employer

Customer Question

Can an off duty police officer make a complaint to your employer regarding a traffic offence you committed without making an official police complaint
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Sorry for the delay overnight

Can you explain a bit more a out what happened?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

A complaint was made to my employer about my driving and the fact I crossed over a set of double white lines 2 foot before they ended to overtake a vehicle travelling at less than 35 mph in a 50 mph zone the complaint was made by an off duty PC who was allegedly following me in his own car the complaint was made via our call centre complaints dept no official complaint has been made regarding my driving

Thanks for the information.

I do completely see why you are aggrieved about this as he is clearly just a jobsworth but ultimately we are all hampered by the law.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

A police officer is free to make a report of this kind. He owes you no duty of confidentiality I'm afraid. Ultimately he is free to make disclosures to any person he thinks may be interested in this issue. There are some prohibitions upon what can be disclosed during the course of an actual criminal prosecution but you seem to be saying that a decision has been taken not to prosecute although that seems rather odd in the circumstances.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.