31090051

HiI was in a incident in April 2009 where it was slow moving

Customer Question

I was in a incident in April 2009 where it was slow moving traffic and a car bumped into me from behind and I gently hit the car in front. There was no damage and no injuries.

We exchanged contact no.s and names and then a week or two later I received a phonecall to say that 2 ppl were injured when there was only 1 person in the car and there was damage to the car when there was clearly no damage.

I also insured my car earlier that evening and this guy gave a random time, which now means my insurers wont cover me.
In the mean while I have written many letters back and forth telling them this guy is a fraud and over exaggerated the incident and claim.They have invoiced me for £11000+

I have recieved a letter saying that they have medical bills to prove the injury via the MIB and this amoutn has been paid out and they need to recover from me.

I was initially advised that after 3 years they are not able to claim from me, but the letters have not stopped and don't know how to handle this any further.

My fault was that we didnt call the police at the time of the incident and neither took pictures but since nothing really happened , it didnt occur to me that soemthing liekt his could have got so out of hand.

Please advise.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
If the case has not been raised in court within 3 years then the third party has no claim against you as it is time barred.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well the MIB has passed onto a solicitor to claim the money and have asked for my incomings and outgoings to set up a payment plan.

What do you suggest that I write to them in response to this?

Pls advise

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Did the MIB settle with the so called injured party within the three years?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes they did

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, MIB settled this within the 3 yrs, where does this leave me?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Awaiting reply... Pls advise
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
The MIB have a right of relief against you which is not time barred. You will have to negotiate a settlement with them, or alternatively dispute their claim if they ought not to have conceded liability for the accident.

From your initial narrative this was a slight collision which did not cause injury and in any event you were shunted from the car behind you. That being the case you should see a solicitor with a view to challenging the MIB claim.

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you. I have had connection issues.