Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi. I have just purchased a new left hand drive German built

Customer Question

Hi. I have just purchased a new left hand drive German built motorhome from a UK dealer. The speedometer only show the speed in km/h and the headlights do not dip to the right. Should the vehicle have been modified before it was registered and is it legal to drive it on UK roads? Are there any implications for the insurance cover?
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Can I just check this with you please. This was manufactured in Germany for the German market presumably but they imported to the uk?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Yes it was manufactured in Germany for the European market. The manufacturer has appointed dealers in the UK who offer the vehicles to the UK market. My understanding is that the importer should then get the base vehicle adapted - change headlights, tail lights and speedometer dial so that it can be registered and used in the UK. These changes have not been made to this vehicle.

I will look up the legislation now. Its probably going to take about 1 hour if thats ok?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no let it drop thanks.

Are you sure?

Construction and use legislation is something I can look up for you but its not something I would know offhand obviously.