Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

Hi. A caravan has parked opposite my home.

Customer Question

A caravan has parked opposite my home. About two months ago the guy who is renting XX XXXXXXXX XXXXX, bought a caravan and parked it on the road outside his rented house. This is a nice quiet area and we are horrified that a caravan has park here.

I thought it was against the Law. The council said if it were a council estate he would be able to move it, but because it is a private estate with mainly bungalows he can't.

My argument is that it is a council road (highway) so what is the difference. It would appear that he is running a business. He bought one caravan and repaired it on the roadside, outside his house and now he has bought another one to do the same with.

Both caravans were on the wrong side of the road so reflectors not seen and the steps are left in the middle of the road. The deeds that go with the property say you cannot have a caravan on your property or on the road.

The problem is that the Council and the police have shared control over caravans. Council say they can only help with abandoned caravans. Police say it is up to the council when dealing with the highway.

I've been in touch with the Estate Agent responsible for renting him the house but they say they have not been commissioned to manage it.

What am I to do - I do not want to live on a road where caravans are parked. My address is XXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXX.  See it on Google Earth.

This task is totally exhausting and I need help.

Barbara XXXXXXXX

Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Police Ref: P138752 the caravan owners car reg is XXXX XXX. Are there gas bottles in the caravan. He has cables running across the pavement, steps in the middle of the road and all sorts going on. He is making a living buying and selling caravans I think.

Please find a way of moving this caravan. If you want photos will upload them to you if possible.

Barbara

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Do you have the contact details for the owner at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Reply to Law Denning

The deeds of my home say that a caravan cannot park on the Estate where I live. The Police and the Council pass the responsibility to each other and no one wants to take control.

How do I get the caravan removed from my road. My neighbours and me do not want it parked here, especially as he is repairing them and selling them on - as a business.

Barbara

Do your deeds say who the beneficiary of the covenant is please?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
I have been asked to look at this again for you.

Can you tell us please the exact wording of the covenant in the deeds?

Are there any other covenants in the deeds regarding fencing or hedges or anything else and if so can you confirm that no one who is complaining of the caravan has breached any of the other covenants.
that is extremely important.

if he is repairing these caravans have you referred it to the local authority for carrying out a business in a residential property, without planning consent?

have you raised the issue with the landlord of the house because he is also allowing this business to be carried on from his residential property

I can tell you that a breach of covenant is not a police or local authority matter.